Recently I headed out with a group of fellow silent meditation walkers (yes, we come together to walk in silence as human-nature; and, we connect human-human in conversations before and after the walks) and we used the trail-marked trees to focus on a quality that we wanted to increase-in/bring-into our lives (e.g., peace, patience, compassion) – each time we came to a marked tree, we brought ourselves back into that place-time moment and a chosen value.
- Think of the quality/value that you want
- Whisper–breath aloud the quality/value that you want
- Say aloud the quality/value that you want
- Look at the trail-marked tree to connect with the here-now moment
- Move your arm/hand in the direction of the trail-marked tree to connect with the here-now moment
- Actually touch the bark of the trail marked tree with your bare hand